From persecution to pride: the history of LGBTQI people in Hungary from the 1940s to the 1990s
Between September 2020 and August 2021, Háttér Archive and library will be conducting a project entitled From persecution to pride: the history of LGBTQI people in Hungary from the 1940s to the 1990s.
The aims of the projects are:
- raising awareness about the history of the LGBTQI community;
- showcasing how LGBTQI people lived between World War II and the millenium and how these events have affected their lives;
- raising attention to the fact that the LGBTQI community has always been present and part of society;
- countering negative stereotypes about LGBTQI people;
- encourage the positive self-identification of LGBTQI persons.
Specific activities of the project include:
- researching and digitizing relevant documents of the period;
- conducting and publishing oral history video interviews;
- showcasing an online exhibition;
- creating a print booklet, an interactive map and timeline.
The project received a 13 816 USD funding from the US Embassy in Budapest.